Blog Rules

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Okay everyone. Heres the rules to the blog I am dedicating to all of you. You can send a message to anyone you want. It can be your spouse, your kids, your boss or your best friend. The only thing is that any message sent has to be a positive one. I will not accept any negative messages. Also I will not accept bad language or anything sexual. To get your message here please email it to me at dalesblog@yahoo.ca I will take a look to make sure it fits on the blog and then post it. Please let me know if you want your name used on the post as well.

Once you are posted make sure you send others to see it. I am also looking for positive stories, poems and pictures that have to do with the positive nature of this blog.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

National Friendship Week

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We all know or knew someone like this!!

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class walking home from school. His name was Brian. It looked like he was carrying all of his books, I thought to myself, why would anyone bring home all of his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd. I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends Saturday afternoon.) I shrugged my shoulders and went on walking. As I was walking I saw a bunch of kids running towards him. They ran at him, knocking all of his books out of his arms, and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about 10 feet from where he was lyeing.

He looked up and I saw a terible sadness in his eyes. My heart actually felt for him. I jogged over to him and I saw a tear in his eye while he was looking around for his glasses. I picked up the glasses and handed them to him. I told him not to worry because those guys were just jerks. I told him that they should get lives. He looked at me and thanked me and now he was smiling. You could really tell it was a smile of gratitude. I helped him to pick up his books and I found out that he lived very near me so we walked home together. We discussed things and he told me he was never around because he was in a private school. I never thought I would be hanging out with a preppie from a private school but Brian seemed pretty neat so I figured why not. I asked him if he wanted to play football with my friends and myself and he accepted. The weekend was a blast and we got a long great.

Well Monday morning came and I ran into Brian on his way to school. This time he was carrying all of his books back to school. I made some sort of smart comment on how all this book carrying was going to build him some huge muscles. he just laughed, handed me half the books and we walked towards school.

Over the next four years Brian and I became best of friends. In our senior years we started thinking about going to colledge. We were both headed towards differant schools but we knew we would be friends forever. it turned out that Brian was the Valedictorian of our class. I teased him in fun through high school about being a nerd but by the time grade 12 rolled around he had undergone some great changes. By now he had more dates than I had and even I was a bit jealous. He looked a bit nervous about going up in front of everyone to give a speech. I knew I would never be able to do it so I patted him on the back and told him he would do great.

What I was about to hear just about made me fall off my chair.

Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, siblings, teachers, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends...I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story. I just looked at my friend as he told the story of how we met on that first day and I couldnt believe what I was hearing. He had planned on killing himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his mom wouldnt have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. Thankfully I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable. I heard the gasp go through the crowdas this handsome popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize its depth. Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a persons life. For better or for worse. God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way. Look for God in others.

You now have 2 choices. As you can see, I took choice number one. Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly. There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift.

This story is written by an annonymous donor. I thought it would be a great excerpt for National Friendship Week

Dale

No comments: